September 10, 2011
Information about Simon Mtuy
- Ultra distance runner
- Born February 10, 1972
- Mbahe Village, Tanzania
- 1.93 m (6 feet 4 inches)
- 79 kg (175 pounds)
- Parents: Constancia Aloyce Mtuy and Peter Rama Mtuy
- Siblings: four brothers and five sisters
- Record holder of the fastest unsupported ascent and descent of Kilimanjaro in 9 hours 21 minutes 47 seconds from Umbwe Gate to Mweka Gate: February 22, 2006.
- Ex-record holder of the fastest supported ascent and descent of Kilimanjaro in 8 hours 27 minutes from Umbwe Gate to Mweka gate: December 26, 2004.
- Winner at the Ohlone Wilderness 50 km trail run in California, United States: May 18, 2003.
- Founder and guide of the Summit Expeditions and Nomadic Experience which offers Kilimanjaro climbs and wildlife safaris in Tanzania.
- He reached the summit of Kilimanjaro more than 400 times from 1986 to 2011 (still continuing).
- He helped the Spanish trail runner Kilian Jornet to break his record of the fastest supported ascent and descent of Kilimanjaro on September 28, 2010. The record is now 7 hours 13 minutes 50 seconds.
- During the second day of the ascent of Kilimanjaro with Canadian climber Thomas Kieller (October 7, 2010), Simon's resting heart rate was recorded at 45 pulses per minute at Shira One Camp (3,481 meters of altitude).
- At sea level, his resting heart rate is 32 pulses per minute.
- In 1995, he established his personal record of 2 hours 27 minutes at the Nairobi marathon, Kenya.
- In 1994, he did a time of 2 hours 43 minutes at the Kilimanjaro marathon, Tanzania.
- Founder and director of Hope Through Opportunity, a non-governmental community development organization in Tanzania.
© United Athletes Magazine