June 3, 2006
Halibut with green scales and crushed tomatoes by chef Jean Soulard
Photo – Copyright United Athletes Magazine
I asked chef Jean Soulard to prepare a healthy recipe which has taste and which will be appreciated by numerous sportsmen and sportswomen. He set his heart on the halibut with green scales and crushed tomatoes. He told me that he is particularly fond of fish. Here is the recipe prepared by the chef in the principal kitchen of the Château Frontenac in Quebec City, Canada.
A recipe for four persons.
- 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) of halibut fillet
- 50 ml (3 tablespoons) of olive oil
- 450 g (1 lb) of courgettes
- Crushed tomatoes: 1 kg (2 lb 3 oz) of mature tomatoes, 25 g (1 oz) of chopped shallots, 1 chopped garlic clove, 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of fresh chopped herbs such as oregano and thyme, and 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of olive oil
- A few blades of chives
- Salt and pepper
- Vinaigrette: 60 ml (¼ of cup) of olive oil, chopped basil and juice of ½ lemon
Steps to prepare the dish
- Wash the courgettes and cut them in fine slices of 3 mm (1/8 in.) in thickness. Blanch them into salted boiling water, then cool them and drain them.
- Prepare the crushed tomatoes. Remove the pedicel of the tomatoes. Plunge them into boiling water for 30 seconds. Cool them under cold water and peel. Cut the tomatoes in half and press them in the hollow of the hand, in such a matter as to remove the pips. Cut in small dices. Sauté the chopped chives and the garlic clove in olive oil in an inadhesive pan. Add the tomatoes and the herbs. Salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until the juice has evaporated. Verify the seasoning.
- Keep the crushed tomatoes hot.
- Carve the halibut fillet, without bones and skin, into four equal pieces. Salt and pepper. Place them on a plate with a little bit of olive oil.
- Arrange the courgettes slices in a fish-scale method on each fillet.
- Cook in the oven for about ten minutes at 175 ºC (350 ºF).
- Prepare the vinaigrette by mixing olive oil, lemon juice, chopped basil and salt and pepper.
- Arrange the halibut from the oven onto the tomatoes. Baste immediately with the vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle a few blades of chives.
© United Athletes Magazine